Music Lesson Plans for grades K to 8
Below are links to our General Music Curriculum for grades 1 to 8
Note: Step-by-Step Classroom Music (1 book and 2CDs) have identical lessons to the formerly titled Teachers' Choice Music (3 books and CDs).
The primary grades of the Step-by-Step Classroom Music Curriculm:
- Focuses on fundamentals of music and integrates approaches of Orff, Kodály and Solfège into the lessons;
- Provides opportunities for students to listen and respond, sing, move, create rhythms and melodies, expanding on them as they learn new notes and rests;
- Incorporates traditional folk songs, Classical and multicultural songs (performed by original artists) audio CD included for each grade;
- Includes background notes for teachers and blackline masters/illustrations.
Grade 2 Music Lessons
Grade 3 Music Lessons
Music Lessons Grades 4 to 6
- Introduces notes on the treble and bass staves, recorder and fingerings, major, minor and pentatonic scales, syncopation, skips, steps and leaps
- Expands on Form, pitch, dynamics and composition
- Promotes critical listening to supplied audio e.g. texture in Für Elise or syncopation in African or Indian music
- Provides age appropriate lessons on music and culture
- Offers preparatory lessons for instrumental/choral grades 7 and 8 programs
Grade 5 Music Lessons
Grade 6 Music Lessons
Music Lessons Grades 7 and 8
- Complements vocal and instrumental programs and keeps the interest of older students: grade 7 focuses on the Blues, major and minor chord progressions, 12-bar blues, circle of 4ths and 5ths, composition over major and blues progressions
- Grade 8 uses the theme of Jazz to create major and minor triads, chord voicings, note and chord transpositions, metres: 4/5, 7/4, 9/8; scale degrees, modes etc.
Grade 8 Music Lessons
Student Workbook SMART Boards The original Step-by-Step Classroom Music, Supplements and Step II are now available as SMART notebook files. Make use of your SMART boards for an interactive and paper-free alternative to reproducible student sheets. We have embedded the required audio and made use of the functionality in SMART notebook making these the perfect accompaniment to the text and CD audio versions.